Tobacco Prevention and Control Branch
The N.C. Tobacco Prevention and Control Branch staff has produced several articles on important tobacco-related issues in recent years.
National Cancer Institute Monograph 16: ASSIST
Shaping the Future of Tobacco Prevention and Control
Two TPCB Staff members were co-authors of chapters of this publication. This publication is located on the National Cancer Institute's Smoking and Tobacco Control Monographs page.
To view the entire monograph, click here (PDF, 3 MB).
Abstracts and Articles
- Stein A, Suttie J, Baker L, Agans R, Xue W, Bowling JM. Predictors of Smoke-Free Policies in Affordable Multiunit Housing, North Carolina, 2013. Prev Chronic Dis 2015;12:140506.
- Sally Herndon, Jim Martin, Tanha Patel, Ann Houston Staples, Joyce Swetlick (2014). The Impact of Smoke-Free Legislation on Population Health in North Carolina. N C Med J. 2014;75(6):422-428.
- Kandra, K.L., Godstein, A.O., & Proescholdbell, S.K. (2011). Variables associated with cigarette use and susceptibility in N.C. adolescents: Results from the 2007 statewide survey of high school students. North Carolina Medical Journal, 72(1), 13-19 .
- Plescia, Marcus, D. Wansink, H.R. Waters, S. Herndon. Medical Costs of Secondhand-Smoke Exposure in North Carolina . NC Med J. 2011;72(1):7-12.
- Mage, C., Goldstein, A.O., Colgan, S., Kramer, K.D., Steiner, J., Staples, A.H. Secondhand Smoke Policies at State and County Fairs . NC Med J. 2010;71(5):409-412.
- Foley, K.L., Proescholdbell, S., Malek, S.H., Johnson, J. Implementation and Enforcement of Tobacco Bans in Two Prisons in North Carolina: A Qualitative Inquiry (Abstract). Journal of Correctional Health Care. 2010, 16; 98-105.
- Proescholdbell, S.K., Steiner, J., Goldstein, AO & Malek, S.H. Indoor Air Quality Monitoring in Six Counties in North Carolina . Preventing Chronic Disease. 2009 Jul; 6(3):A88.
- Staples, A.H. Media Advocacy: A Powerful Tool for Policy Change . North Carolina Medical Journal. 2009 Mar-Apr; 70:2:175-178.
- Scott, S., Proescholdbell, S.K. Informing Best Practice with Community Practice: The Community Change Chronicle Method for Program Documentation and Evaluation (Abstract). Health Promotion Practice. 2009 Jan; 10(1):102-10.
- Proescholdbell, S.K., Steiner, J., & Goldstein, A.O. (2009). Declining tobacco use among N.C. middle and high school students: 1999-2007. North Carolina Medical Journal, 70(3), 205-12 .
- Proescholdbell, S.K., Foley, K.L., Johnson, J., Malek, S. Indoor air quality in prisons before and after implementation of a smoking ban law (Abstract). Tobacco Control. 2008 Apr; 17(2):123-7.
- Colgan, S.E., Skinner, B., Mage, C., Goldstein, A.O., Kramer, K., Steiner, J. and Staples, A.H. Business Policies Affecting Secondhand Smoke Exposure . North Carolina Medical Journal. Sept/Oct 2008; 69(5):355-361.
- Kandra K.L., Goldstein A.O., Gizlice Z., Woldman R.L., Proescholdbell S.K. Attitudes about Tobacco Policies among North Carolina Parents (PDF, 160 kb). North Carolina Medical Journal. Jan-Feb 2007; 68(1):17-22.
- Conlisk E., Proescholdbell S.K., Pan W.K. Support for Tobacco Control Policies among Youth in North Carolina . North Carolina Medical Journal. May-Jun 2006; 67(3):175-179.
- Malek S.H., Johnson, J. Putting Research and Best Practices into Action to Prevent and Control Tobacco Use in North Carolina (PDF, 652 kb). Popular Government. Fall 2005.
- Plescia M., Malek S.H., Shopland D.R., Anderson C.M., Burns D.M. Protecting Workers from Secondhand Smoke in North Carolina . North Carolina Medical Journal. May-Jun 2005; 66(3):186-191.
- Proescholdbell, S.K. (2004). Running the numbers: Youth tobacco use in North Carolina. North Carolina Medical Journal, 65(1) .
- Malek S.H., Hopkins D.P., Molloy M., McGloin T. The Public Health Challenge of Youth Smoking in North Carolina: Putting What We Know into Practice . North Carolina Medical Journal. May-Jun 2002; 63(3):153-161.
The Forum Section of the June 2002 issue of the North Carolina Medical Journal was entirely devoted to the Teen Tobacco Issue.